Thar Be Pickup Games! (spin-off)

What games are you thinking of playing? What games do you want others to run?
Ben Robbins
Thar Be Pickup Games! (spin-off)

Post by Ben Robbins » April 26th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Don't be fooled: a lot of games at Go Play NW aren't scheduled at all.

Before each time slot the whole mob of footloose gamers gathers, brainstorms, and then explodes into many, many pickup games. It's a sight to behold.

So don't think you have to sign-up for games or schedule games to play. You will play. Our motto: no gamer left behind.

[I've moved this to a discussion thread, since we've got lots of good chatter about what kind of pickup games people are thinking of running]

tonydowler

Re: Thar Be Pickup Games!

Post by tonydowler » April 26th, 2010, 4:51 pm

What Ben said! Expect tons of pickup games. Go Play works best when there are people who bring games that they like to run ad-hoc. There are always people at Go Play who are itching to try your favorite game. Some of them may be veterans, and some might have heard about the game, but never had a chance to run it.

I'm planning to bring several games that I can run in any time slot, including In a Wicked Age, Red Box D&D, and my own games (Apocalypse D&D and Principia).

Caesar_X
Name:Chris Bennett

Post by Caesar_X » May 3rd, 2010, 5:20 pm

I will have some old-school dungeon crawling goodness with me (The Fantasy Trip) that is great for an extra hour or two.

And I'll bring a few "unreleased" playsets for Fiasco in case anyone wants to throw down.

John Powell

Post by John Powell » May 7th, 2010, 3:26 pm

I'll be prepared to run Lady Blackbird, and the new superhero game, Icons, at anytime.

No gamer left behind!

Brendan
Name:Brendan Adkins

Post by Brendan » May 7th, 2010, 10:57 pm

I can run Danger Patrol Beta or The Shab-Al-Hiri Roach on demand, but I'll probably be too busy scrambling to get in on one of the games you guys have already listed! I'll also haul up some board games in case people are into that.

spiritmage
Name:Mike Kimmel

Post by spiritmage » May 13th, 2010, 2:17 pm

I'm just going to bring a whole bunch of pickup games to run. Maybe I'll post a list sometime soon.

Ben Robbins

Post by Ben Robbins » May 13th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Go team! More people ready to run lots of things at the drop of a hat is an extremely good thing.

I think having tight list of games you're excited about and can pitch is much better than a long list: some of the folks in the pickup scrum may have never even heard of these games, so if you present a big list they'll have no idea what to pick. It could be overwhelming.

Maybe that's a good rule of thumb: if you've got two or three games you can facilitate really well, and will work for a random mix of people, and you can pitch them quickly, you are ready to win fame and honor in the pickup arena.

moleculo
Name:Matthew Klein

Post by moleculo » May 14th, 2010, 7:55 am

Tight list I am bringing and can throw down upon request:
3:16
Danger Patrol Beta
A Taste for Murder
EDIT: Adding 44: A Game of Automatic Fear and Remember Tomorrow: Near Future Role-Playing

If I can find room in the luggage, I will bring a couple of board games - probably Endeavor and Dominion.
Last edited by moleculo on June 8th, 2010, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Robbins

Re: Thar Be Pickup Games! (spin-off)

Post by Ben Robbins » May 14th, 2010, 6:06 pm

My go-to list:
- Microscope
- Shock
- Geiger Counter

Carl
Name:Carl Rigney

Re: Thar Be Pickup Games! (spin-off)

Post by Carl » May 15th, 2010, 12:03 am

I'll bring Lacuna, Dogs in the Vineyard, Don't Rest Your Head, and Apocalypse World.

Return to “Brainstorming Games”