SUN-01 Nobilis

We came. We saw. We gamed.
Ben Wray
SUN-01 Nobilis

Post by Ben Wray » June 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm

Ah, Nobilis! The game of gods. Sunday Morning meant there weren't many people around, so some who had signed up didn't show, and we had a lot of people hanging around so I ended up with a very full complement of six PCs, whose names I won't even try to remember the entirety of: Brendan Adkins and Joe McDlano (or something like that?) are the only two that come to mind. And I think... David or Drake or something like that? As in my other thread, anyone who has a better memory than me, or anyone who played and I didn't name, by all means speak up. Rest assured while the player's name may have slipped my mind, your characters were all awesome and memorable.

My favorite moments!

* Driving yet another Nobilis PC, Talita, Marchessa (I think?) of Stress, into an act of mass manslaughter that can only be measured in statistical terms.
* Getting to run a Deceiver who had gifts other than the way overused (at least in my humble opinion) Blind Lie, and it going fantastically well (So much bodyswapping).
* Fitz, Power of "Giving Up" stabbing somebody he had every reason to believe was Meon himself, and when that turned out to be a Deceiver who then body-swapped with Fitz leaving him the appearance (both visual and spiritual) of Meon himself, deciding to go and abuse that. That's chutzpah, ladies and gentlemen, one-shot or not.
* The Aspect-4 Power of Wind tearing up the scenery fighting an Immortal Warmain Shard, smashing through floors, walls, windows, and eventually the concrete sidewalk below.
* Jacque, The Power of Fame subverting said Warmain's sword by making it love him in that adoring celebrity worship, and then claiming it for himself despite warnings from other PCs.
* One of the players completely subverting one of my minor obstacles intended as a warm-up ("All the doors of the building are mysterious missing! How do you get in?") by happening to choose the exact estate (Portals/Gates) needed to effortlessly get past it.

And more!

Sorry to anybody who expressed interest in the brainstorming thread who didn't get into it because I didn't decide when to run it until late saturday! People who did play the game, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, good and bad, especially any of your favorite moments that I didn't mention. (We kind of dominated the early Sunday quote board, but I think that was mostly by lack of competition at that point than anything else.)

cwilbur
Name:Charlton Wilbur

Re: SUN-01 Nobilis

Post by cwilbur » June 22nd, 2010, 9:38 am

I played Jeff, the Duke of Intoxication. I wound up being not terribly useful -- I probably should have spent a bit more thought on ways of dealing with physical threats. But I had a blast all the same riffing on things with Jacques and being summoned occasionally.

(Jacques's player and I figured out that when the rest of our Familia said, "You guys are the cavalry," what they really meant was, "You guys are completely useless," only neither Jeff nor Jacques has quite figured that out yet.)

Ben Wray

Post by Ben Wray » June 22nd, 2010, 3:08 pm

I tried to make a situation which involved several mortals for dudes with direct-influence estates such as Fame and Intoxication to interact with, but then Talitha killed all of them. Such is life.

I still really enjoyed your and Jacque's reaction to "Meon", though. They would have been great characters in a long-term game where I had time to give each and every PC a chance to enjoy the spotlight.

Brendan
Name:Brendan Adkins

Post by Brendan » June 22nd, 2010, 6:57 pm

We should have had David just Gate in more mortals!

I've said this elsewhere, but this was my first time playing Nobilis at a table with Ben after years of playing it over chat, and it was great. I agree that Jeff and Jacques would have been a great running Vaudeville duo in a longer game.

jem

Post by jem » June 24th, 2010, 12:10 am

I was Jaques, the Power of Fame, and what a blast that was. I also enjoyed some of the lines you could draw between our domains to connect them in a nearly coherent fashion. One of my favorite recurring moments was when Brendan would summon one of us, and complain about the complicated rituals each of us required. Or was that just Jaques'?

Thanks for running the game, Ben. You should come back next year and run the next adventure!

Ben Wray

Post by Ben Wray » June 24th, 2010, 2:43 am

The spree of individualized summon rituals was pretty funny, yes.

I doubt we would be able to get the exact same crew, but there are probably worse scenario starts than "Okay, the familia has been gathered. It's time to decide what to do with the Warmain's sword of awesome power and possible doom. So... who's holding it right this second?" And it'd be a nice nod of the head, so to speak.

Return to “Afterglow: What We Played”