SAT-04 Microscope: The Age of Thought & the Catholic Church

We came. We saw. We gamed.
ping
SAT-04 Microscope: The Age of Thought & the Catholic Church

Post by ping » June 25th, 2010, 5:19 pm

Dale, James, Ping

We set out to explore the stars and then find out why humanity declined and went extinct. However, James started us down this Catholic path (which I think resonated with all of us) and before we knew it, the church blew up Rome from the moon in order to re-consecrate the ground, rebuilt St. Peter's later to bring the church back to Italy and then an idealistic architect built St. Peter's II in defiance in Brazil (but he was later killed by a bomber). And there was all sorts of other stuff too about the nature and originality of ideas and whether God is an external being or an internal reflection of self. Can I say, Dale's Church of the Mirror (proponents of the latter) was inspirational.

Sorry for the fuzzy camera phone picture. I'll try for a better picture in the coming days. It's pretty accurate, except Humanity Abandons the Earth is possibly in the wrong place.

Blankshield
Name:James Brown

Re: SAT-04 Microscope: The Age of Thought & the Catholic Chu

Post by Blankshield » June 29th, 2010, 7:36 pm

Yeah, Humanity Abandons the Earth happened in our first age.

This was a really cool game. I'll confess to being a bit ishy on the concept of Microscope, but the way this play unfolded was completely amazing.

The way the focusing works to draw out a common thread across disparate times and places really did give us (or me, at least) that we were cherry picking from a huge tapestry, and aside from issues of fatigue, I'm quite certain we could have gone around the table several more times without exhausting the themes and foci already on the table, let alone new ones brought in.

There's a few rough spots, or things I would prefer otherwise (scenes that didn't involve exactly three significant personages, for example), but Microscope really gave us a strong set of tools to work magic with. I've gone from "Microscope... that's that 'weird history thing' of Ben's, right?" to "So, when is it in a state I can take home and play with?"

James

dhorstman
Name:Dale Horstman

Post by dhorstman » July 12th, 2010, 6:29 pm

James,

I agree, it really was a trip.

And what about those rules??? I'd love to play it down here in SF for a group at my FLGS and another game group or two!!!

Ping, should we contact Ben directly about this?

Thanks,
Dale

dhorstman
Name:Dale Horstman

Post by dhorstman » July 12th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Ping, just realized I could email Ben about this through the board… :)

Return to “Afterglow: What We Played”