How problematic is NOT scheduling games?

The place to discuss all things GPNW 2011, except games. Can't wait until July? Us neither.
Andy K
Name:Andy K
How problematic is NOT scheduling games?

Post by Andy K » June 30th, 2011, 7:58 am

Hey all, just curious about how much "slush" is going to be at the con: Are all the events pretty much locked down at the door with attendees, or historically do people gather for on-the-fly gaming often?

Was thinking of bringing 2-3 games to run a few sessions of four people or so, if there are any stragglers, but before I assume that that will work, I just wanted to get a feel from people who have gone in the past if "on the fly games" work or not? Or is it always best to lock everything into the schedule before the con?

Thanks!
-Andy

tonydowler

Re: How problematic is NOT scheduling games?

Post by tonydowler » June 30th, 2011, 10:15 am

On-the-fly gaming is not a problem, in fact GPNW is geared to make it as easy as possible. There will be lots of pickup games, and opportunities to add games to the schedule wall at any point during the con. So don't feel like you have to schedule everything, but just pick a balance that works for you.

Here's how game scheduling will work at the con:
- The games already scheduled in the scheduling forum will be posted on the schedule wall
- There will be blank sheets for people to add games to the schedule, or see what games are open and sign up to play
- And there will be a "pickup donut" breakout session at the start of each gaming slot where we'll put people into groups for pickup gamign
- Plus you can always just grab some folks on the fly and grab a table and play

This post on the blog talks about it too:
http://www.goplaynw.org/index.php/2011/ ... -your-con/

And this post on Ben's blog goes into detail about the donut:
http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/1 ... kup-donut/

kscott
Name:Keenan Scott

Post by kscott » June 30th, 2011, 11:34 am

Last year I was new and scheduled nothing: as a result I discovered a lot of games new to me. It was great, apart from the small (and quickly passed) anxiety of finding a game every slot.

This year I've got four (no wait, five) slots already scheduled and I'm deliberately trying to not schedule anything more (if I can avoid the temptation) so that I can repeat the experience from last year.

The trick with scheduled games is that you tend to go in for ones you've heard of and want to play or have played before. As a result, it's easy to miss out on the up-and-coming new hot games that you haven't heard of or that little game you've overlooked, but would really enjoy.

sage

Post by sage » June 30th, 2011, 12:39 pm

This is the first year I've actually schedule anything for GPNW. Last year I played something in every slot but Sunday AM, and everything was awesome.

Don't fear just showing up. It works great.

mcdaldno

Post by mcdaldno » June 30th, 2011, 1:55 pm

Andy,

I've found my happy middle ground to be: schedule 3 slots (out of 8), have an idea what you might do for a few more (say 2), and then arrive empty-handed for the remainder of the slots. That way, you have some stuff to look forward to, but also get to be surprised by some new hotness.

Look forward to seeing you there!

moleculo
Name:Matthew Klein

Post by moleculo » July 1st, 2011, 5:28 am

Ditto all the above. I like to have a couple of things set up in advance and then go with the flow. And there will be plenty of flow, of that you can be damned sure. Many participants bring games to support impromptu events. Personally, I'm advertising Lady Blackbird for Sunday but also am bringing an additional five or six items I can run as needed. I may not run any of them but... I've got 'em.

Honestly, it's hard to imagine a GPNW with people standing around, wishing they had something to do. (Past attendees will get a chuckle out of that.) Just doesn't happen, which is part of the "no gamer left behind" magic of this event.

Ben Robbins

Post by Ben Robbins » July 1st, 2011, 2:02 pm

I've got nothing scheduled. Nothing! Because I loves me some pickup gaming.

Like Matthew said: "no gamer left behind." So don't let scheduling worry you.

xenopulse
Name:Christian Griffen

Post by xenopulse » July 3rd, 2011, 8:00 pm

I'm like Ben (in more ways than you know): I've got nothing scheduled, at all.

There was one time where I scheduled most slots, and ended up playing with the same (totally awesome) people like 4 or 5 times. After that, I decided just to go with the flow, so I would make myself play with new people in a few slots as well, not just my old favorites. :)

Ben Robbins

Post by Ben Robbins » July 3rd, 2011, 11:03 pm

xenopulse wrote:I'm like Ben (in more ways than you know)
I cannot deny what's in my heart.

Here's another thing to consider: a lot of the veterans are here on the forum, planning games, but most of the people who are brand new to all this, aren't. They'll be at GPNW, wandering around, looking for games.

Sooooo, having a lots of experienced folks ready and willing to throw down pickup games for all these new folks (or anybody for that matter) is double-awesome plus. One could even say it's essential.

That's what I'm doing.

Return to “Burning With Anticipation!”