SAT-02 My Life With Master: Forbidden Planet (Lottery)

We came. We saw. We gamed.
Ben Robbins
SAT-02 My Life With Master: Forbidden Planet (Lottery)

Post by Ben Robbins » July 10th, 2011, 11:25 am

players: Johnzo, Caroline, Kingston, Ben

(placeholder, chime in with thoughts)

zornwil
Name:Wilson Zorn

Re: SAT-02 My Life With Master: Forbidden Planet

Post by zornwil » July 10th, 2011, 11:34 pm

Holy crap, there was a My Life with Master game and I missed it!?? AARRRGGH!

Seriously, I got into plenty of things I had never played and had wanted to. But I just wanted to call out kudos that someone ran this. If anyone wants to play next year and there's any heads up, I would love to be in it.

Darley
Name:Peter Darley

Re: SAT-02 My Life With Master: Forbidden Planet

Post by Darley » July 11th, 2011, 8:26 am

I'm also bummed that I didn't have a chance to play this. I've been wanting to for years. I'd totally be up to playing it next year!

Ben Robbins

Re: SAT-02 My Life With Master: Forbidden Planet (Lottery)

Post by Ben Robbins » July 13th, 2011, 1:10 am

This was our Lottery game. We sat down, talked about a couple of options, then said screw it, let's play My Life With Master. Instead of the standard gothic setting, we went with the "Tell me more of this thing you Earthmen call kissing" / Forbidden Planet sci fi model: the Villagers are the starship crew coming to the strange planet where the lone scientist (the Master) is served by his creations.

In this game, the minions were three sister-clones created by their "Father," a faceless AI buried in a vast underground complex. It was a Brain/Collector type Master bent on luring ships to the world to bring their computers under his control and use their crews to do the maintenance. Father was still refining his technique...

"So this is the first outside ship that's ever come here?"
"Well, unless you count the ship graveyard in the forbidden zone. It's right next to the graveyard-graveyard. That's where the crews are. Father doesn't like you to talk about that to strangers."

A love triangle (parallelogram? hexagon?) emerges between three sister-clones and the dashing crew the explorer starship Persephone, which picked up a signal and made planetfall on an unexpectedly Eden-like world. Falling right into Father's trap...

The three minions were all clones of the same person, but at different ages. One was 20, one was 30, and one was 40. I was skeptical at first, but it turned out to be genius. Cue lots of conversations where Father is trying to sort out which sister the crew would find most attractive or trustworthy or just plain old distracting (yes, we had the classic soft-focus lens maiden-bathing-in-lake scene).

It was a short slot, so the mechanical pacing made it hard to get to the proper Master face-off, so we fudged that a bit. The role-playing was hot, and I kind of wished we had to roll the dice less -- it felt like it was getting in the way, partly because I kept having to look up fallout, etc.

One image from the epilogue I particularly liked was the android Mary (a little girl from the ship Father had his minions kidnap, so he could synthesize a droid to sneak into the ship and take over the computer) becoming a surrogate daughter to the surviving sister-clones. As Johnzo was leading her to take over the ship, he established that since she was a copy of the little girl, the real Mary's thought processes were in there somewhere, even though she was a robot. It was a nice full circle for the basically inhuman clones to now be trying to help the android-duplicate become more human.

Oh, and apparently the Captain digs older women.

Return to “Afterglow: What We Played”