SUN-01 - SUN-03: Burning Apocalypse

We came. We saw. We gamed.
rafial
Name:Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
SUN-01 - SUN-03: Burning Apocalypse

Post by rafial » July 11th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Ogre Whiteside led us through 8 hours of Burning Wheel in three acts, painting an appropriately slow burn saga of low lifes and commoners trapped in the rubble of a magical holocaust. Players were myself, Mickey, Joel Shempert, and David Drake.

In true post-apocolyptic fashion we rounded up survivors, including beggar children, a crazy hermit, and the 12 year old son of the city's former ruler. Supplies were gathered and sickness overcome as we led them to safety at the seacost, dodging a troll and other more mundane hazards. My character Coen Crookleg went from being a penniless begger to chance at a new start as a Shipwright's apprentice, so for him it was the best apocolypse ever!

Ogre
Name:Ogre Whiteside

Re: SUN-01 - SUN-03: Burning Apocalypse

Post by Ogre » July 11th, 2011, 4:39 pm

This was too good not to play again next year, maybe just for two slots though. I was hella burnt.

rafial

Post by rafial » July 11th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Still, you played hard, and made some great calls. When Madeline went into shock and it looked like we were going to lose her, I was surprised by how upset I felt over an imaginary 8 year old girl I had just narrated into existence 20 minutes earlier. And I was the one that wrote "shell shocked" on her NPC card. Not to mention the princeling, who by being actually fairly with it (but still after all, a sheltered pre-teen) made him so much trickier to deal with if he had just been a tantrum throwing noble brat. I tip my had to you for your keen eye for NPCs.

GeekGirlsRule
Name:Mickey

Post by GeekGirlsRule » July 12th, 2011, 11:45 am

I would love to play this again next year.

Priss is very happy being a spy instead of just a whore, but I will poison Godeleine one of these days.

Brendan
Name:Brendan Adkins

Post by Brendan » July 12th, 2011, 11:52 am

I can imagine you guys were pretty seriously burnt out after that, but I still definitely envy the "endurance slot" aspect of an all-day game. I imagine it must do a lot to counteract the limited emotional involvement of most shorter con games. No wonder you got attached to characters in your world so quickly!

rafial

Post by rafial » July 13th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Ogre did report being a bit fried (and he carried a heavy load as GM) but from my perspective it was actually very restful. The extended play time freed me up from feeling the usual "race to significance" of a short slot con game. There was plenty of time to ground in your character and figure out who they are, and to sit back and appreciate the characters that others were portraying. Not everything that happened needed to be a big boom, small moments counted as well.

Return to “Afterglow: What We Played”