The Donut

The place to discuss all things GPNW 2012, except games.
mcdaldno
The Donut

Post by mcdaldno » March 13th, 2012, 2:01 pm

So, in years past, Go Play NW has had a group pick-up gaming thing called The Donut. People gather together, pitch game ideas, break off into groups, and play games. No gamer left behind.

Last year, The Donut went wonky during a few sessions. People felt left behind.

I'm wondering what the organization is for this year's donut events. Do we need people to volunteer to coordinate donuts?
I'd happily coordinate The Donut during the middle session of Saturday and the middle session of Sunday.
Further, if a Donut Coordinator is needed to arrange facilitators for each slot, I'd happily take on that role.
Can someone talk about Donut best practices?

Ben Robbins

Re: The Donut

Post by Ben Robbins » March 14th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Yep, I was just bringing this up with the command team. We do this kind of pickup huddle every week at Story Games Seattle so we've been honing the technique a bunch from its humble origins. I think a little planning and prep can easily solve things.

metaDM
Name:metaDM

Re: The Donut

Post by metaDM » April 2nd, 2012, 3:09 pm

My first GPNW was last year. I arrived 10 minutes after the first donut and ended up sitting at a table alone not knowing how to get in a game. Luckily, someone I knew showed up and I played some card games until the next donut.

If you are formalizing the donut, how about a "donut hole" protocol? If you miss the donut, there is a "donut hole" table you can go to meet other latecomers looking for a game.

Return to “Burning With Anticipation!”