Community-designed megadungeon

What games are you thinking of playing? What games do you want others to run?
Ben Wray
Community-designed megadungeon

Post by Ben Wray » March 17th, 2012, 8:20 am

So I was looking at those nice big sheets of paper we used for the quote boards last GPNW, and I had an idea.

Leave one out Friday before the start of the con, with stairs leading down into a little room drawn in the middle, marked "THE DOOMFOYER" or something, with several doors and passages leading off.

Leave a pen nearby, and an invitation to add to the dungeon (with a few post-it notes like "leave blank spaces for other people to build off of!" and "feel free to label blank rooms" or such.)

Play the result Sunday!

No idea what system. Dungeon World, or maybe HQRP perhaps?

Caesar_X
Name:Chris Bennett

Re: Community-designed megadungeon

Post by Caesar_X » March 17th, 2012, 9:25 pm

I like it!

Brendan
Name:Brendan Adkins

Post by Brendan » March 17th, 2012, 9:44 pm

I'm actually running something very much like this at Gamestorm! I'll probably have supplies left over, and hopefully some experience with what works and what doesn't, so I'll bring both. Great idea, Ben.

LeeShort

Post by LeeShort » March 18th, 2012, 11:15 am

If we want graph paper, I've got some Gamer Paper that I could donate to the cause. Seems wrong not to have graph paper, but the logistics probably won't be quite as clean (ie, we'd have to tape/pin the paper up to the wall, rather than have it on an easel).

greatseamonster
Name:Greatseamonster

Post by greatseamonster » June 7th, 2012, 3:01 am

:D

tonydowler

Post by tonydowler » June 7th, 2012, 4:19 pm

Just need to add my assent that this is indeed a fabulous idea. I'm sorely tempted to run it as an all-comers, drop-in and drop-out DCC RPG session. :) Anybody want to tag-team the DM-ing on this baby?

Ben Wray

Post by Ben Wray » June 8th, 2012, 2:44 am

I'm unfamiliar with DCC: I was tempted to run it with Dungeon World but I want to take a look at World of Dungeons and see if that might be more appropriate for a one-shot (John Harper's games are usually pretty good about that, between Ghost/Echo and Lady Blackbird and Danger Patrol.) So I suppose I'm going to have to kickstart Dungeon World, OH WELP.

(That said, if DCC is easy enough to run for somebody who hasn't read the book, I wouldn't mind co-GMing a massive dungeoncrawl, either)

ETA: I just realized that, at least if I'm running it, it will totally be called "The Dungeon of Yalpog".

LeeShort

Post by LeeShort » June 8th, 2012, 4:40 pm

tonydowler wrote:Just need to add my assent that this is indeed a fabulous idea. I'm sorely tempted to run it as an all-comers, drop-in and drop-out DCC RPG session. :) Anybody want to tag-team the DM-ing on this baby?
I'm a solid maybe; I was planning to run "Fog of D&D" which could just as easily be "Fog of DCC". I don't own DCC but was considering a purchase. I'm entirely unclear on how the community design aspect would work, or it it's still a part of your plan. Maybe we could take it to email, or beer?

Ben Wray

Post by Ben Wray » June 9th, 2012, 1:52 am

My plans for how to do it was to leave one of those large sheets of paper that we've used for writing quotes the last few years, only instead of quotes, people would add bits of the dungeon to it: something like ones on Tony Dowler's excellent "Year of the Dungeon" blog, only poster-sized instead of index-card-sized.

And then, SUN-03, we run it! Or maybe if it gets large enough more than one slot Sunday?

LeeShort

Post by LeeShort » June 9th, 2012, 9:31 am

Ben Wray wrote:My plans for how to do it was to leave one of those large sheets of paper that we've used for writing quotes the last few years, only instead of quotes, people would add bits of the dungeon to it: something like ones on Tony Dowler's excellent "Year of the Dungeon" blog, only poster-sized instead of index-card-sized.

And then, SUN-03, we run it! Or maybe if it gets large enough more than one slot Sunday?
That's how I interpreted the original proposal. I'm not sure how that merges with Tony's vision of a multislot game that maybe even runs all through the convention. Maybe we start the game SUN-01 or SAT-03? Anyhow, there's some details to be worked out there.

Additionally, there's the detail of how to interpret the community map. Is it the gospel truth? I'm thinking that the best way may be as a treasure map -- something that is accessible to the PCs and roughly true, but may have a few surprises.

Return to “Brainstorming Games”