Community-designed megadungeon

What games are you thinking of playing? What games do you want others to run?
tonydowler
Re: Community-designed megadungeon

Post by tonydowler » June 22nd, 2012, 8:40 am

I'm up for playing this one by ear. At worst, we get a community-designed map. I'll bring a big sheet of paper or two, unless someone has some of that cool giant sheet graph paper they want to contribute. I say we play it by ear- put the map out, get people to contribute, and see what it inspires.

Ben Wray

Post by Ben Wray » June 22nd, 2012, 1:20 pm

Yeah. I'm leaning towards World of Dungeons on SUN-03 with, if I'm running solo, maybe up to 6 PCs? But not sure enough to actually schedule it yet.

moleculo
Name:Matthew Klein

Post by moleculo » June 22nd, 2012, 9:11 pm

Just want to acknowledge it's exactly this sort of thing that makes GPNW great. Can't put a price on it.

Occurs to me that a huge map, lovingly co-created, could be co-played, perhaps even at the same time if it's big enough and has multiple entrances. Wouldn't that be a sight? Two or three concurrent sessions of (fill in system of choice) with different adventuring parties breathing life into the central map. Just to warn you guys, there might be sizable demand for a PDF of the finished product after all is said and done. Haven't a clue how that might happen but there are smarter people than me to solve that particular problem. I'm going to enjoy seeing how this happens. I might even be prepared to throw down some Dungeon World on it.

dhorstman
Name:Dale Horstman

Post by dhorstman » June 24th, 2012, 1:39 pm

I am very much jazzed about seeing this! And participating in it!!!

I have one small suggestion…

Maybe rather than a big sheet (or multiple big sheets), we could do a standard size and organize them as a wall like…
http://vimeo.com/13555943?ab

That way we could pick a standardized size (say art pad 9"x12" units -- I'll donate a couple 3 pads of bristol or heavy drawing paper) and build it unit by unit.

It also lets people take down the maps and use them at their table (then return them of course). It would also allow for an easier documentation after the fact (9x12 is generally easier to slap on a scanner than a large sheet). And allows people to make a couple of maps prior to the con, so that we could start with something…

Just a thought anyway. :)

I volunteer to help out with this project! Do we have a mega-map committee forming?

Dale

tonydowler

Post by tonydowler » June 24th, 2012, 4:37 pm

I love Jerry's Map! No comittee, per se, just as forum rats. :)

Yeah, breaking it up into sections might be a good idea. FYI, I'm not sure we have a wall to post this on, though we could probably comandeer a section of table.

Ben Wray

Post by Ben Wray » June 24th, 2012, 8:24 pm

I admit I like the elegance of a single poster... but would bow to the demands of practicality. Plus, if it really takes off, a single poster-sized sheet of paper might not be enough (we can dream, right?)

Plus, a table with a bunch of paper taped to it, that you can sit down and game at and maybe doodle additions to the dungeon as you game would be pretty awesome as well. Plus, easy place to run the dungeon!

OrionCanning

Post by OrionCanning » June 26th, 2012, 1:58 pm

I'll probably run Dragon and Warrior at some point, so I'm kind of interested in this.

Return to “Brainstorming Games”