SUN03: Metamorphosis Omicron

We came. We saw. We gamed.
tonydowler
SUN03: Metamorphosis Omicron

Post by tonydowler » July 2nd, 2012, 8:04 pm

This session as a hilight of the con for me. Nothing's better than a willing group of gamers to tackle an extremely raw gaming experiment with a positive attitude and make a great game. I'm going to keep working on this project. You guys proved it's worthy, and gave some really valuable feedback!

KingstonC

Re: SUN03: Metamorphosis Omicron

Post by KingstonC » July 2nd, 2012, 8:53 pm

It was an awful lot of fun. Mutant powers + Megadungons + "We have met the ancients and they is us"= gaming greatness

Ego
Name:Max Hervieux

Post by Ego » July 2nd, 2012, 8:57 pm

It was crazy, but really fun. People who are entirely baffled by very common things we take for granted was a very fun thing to play with. Also the mutations were great, I've been enjoying making characters out of random combinations recently. A highlight for me was definitely the item lists we got.
See my designs and art and musings! Also I am @Logbook_Project on Twitter and +Max Hervieux on G+.

moleculo
Name:Matthew Klein

Post by moleculo » July 3rd, 2012, 12:40 am

That game has been on my mind ever since, for several reasons. It was fun as hell to play "mystified by the ordinary" with you guys and then provide Tony the feedback session, even though we were all post-con whipped. I'd love to read a designer's blog or something on your thought process, Tony. Or maybe just catch you for a beer next year. Your answer to, "Why MA and not Gamma World," was intriguing and has my mental wheels turning even now. I was talking with Dale about it as we waited for our flight and it occurred to me a dynamic of the game might be if/how the environment affects the characters' psyches, and what happens if/when the characters discover they're on a huge colony ship. I'll be interested to follow how you develop the game.

tonydowler

Post by tonydowler » July 3rd, 2012, 9:38 am

That was a fabulous playtest. I realize now why I was blocked with the game: I needed to run it for more people!

I love that we did "perplexed by ordinary things". This was a theme that's really easy to do wrong, IMHO. I remember long ago sessions of Gamma World that were painful exercises in trying to describe mundane things in a way that perplexes the players. It's much better if you all just agree to play the perplexity for laughs, then engage the mechanics when you need to.

Back when I started this project, I had a post on Story Games about it:
<a href="http://story-games.com/forums/discussio ... _363308</a>

Here's an AP of the first time I ran it:
<a href="http://blog.microdungeons.com/2012/03/w ... ha.html</a>

Return to “Afterglow: What We Played”