9am to midnight: ouch!

All things post-GPNW, except game summaries. Show us your photos. Give us your feedback.
DanB
Name:DanB
9am to midnight: ouch!

Post by DanB » June 29th, 2013, 12:35 pm

If the last session ends at midnight, and the first starts at 9am, with travel time and shower and breakfast it's really hard to get enough sleep. We have already decided to skip SUN01 just to make up our sleep deficit.

A change that might make this a little less painful: rather than three hours for dinner, allow two. Let SAT03 start at 7pm, but don't specify an end time; games can last three hours, or four, or as long as the players want to stay awake.

paintpuddle
Name:Caroline Hobbs

Re: 9am to midnight: ouch!

Post by paintpuddle » July 1st, 2013, 3:41 pm

Ditto on shorter Saturday dinner!

nemomeme
Name:Matthew

Post by nemomeme » July 1st, 2013, 3:55 pm

The dinner hour used to be shorter and there was pretty consistent feedback that it was not enough to even get back in time, much less have a relaxing break.

That's less of an issue with the current location but a lot of the old guard wants to spend even more than three hours talking and catching up with the dozens of friends they haven't seen for a while.

Just to offer a counterpoint.

I do tend to skip one of the 9:00 a.m. sessions and I often try to play a three hour game in the night slots (and then go out drinking until 2:00...) ;)

peregrinekiwi
Name:Hamish C

Post by peregrinekiwi » July 3rd, 2013, 11:39 am

As a GPNW & Seattle newb, I certainly appreciated the 3 hours break as a great chance to have an unhurried meal and explore some Seattle venues I might not have been able to otherwise.

DaniL
Name:Dani L.

Post by DaniL » July 3rd, 2013, 2:25 pm

Personally I think three hours is fine. It does give time for people to gather and enjoy an unhurried meal without having to stress.

And 9 AM to midnight is pretty grueling but it was my choice to be there for every session. I don't regret it a bit. :) I think time was divided pretty efficiently and appreciated the mix of 3 and 4 hour blocks.
- Dani L.

JuliusF
Name:Julius Fildes

Post by JuliusF » July 4th, 2013, 11:29 am

I support the longer dinner break, as well. It allowed time to go get a nice relaxed meal and spend some time with friends new and old, although two hours might be enough for that. The Friday Feast is good for this too, but I appreciated being able to socialize with people I'd just met around the game table. I think it's important for gatherings such as GoPlay to be occasions for socializing other than just while gaming. Indie Hurricane (the story gaming event within Portland's Gamestorm con) usually ends with an after-party of some sort, so perhaps a Sunday evening get-together is something to consider, even though some out-of-towners like me need to get on the road.

Return to “Afterglow: The Good, The Bad & The Awesome”