SAT-03 Dreamland: A Lovecraftian Game of Fantasy & Memory

Planning games for particular slots
mockman
Name:Jason Bradley Thompson
SAT-03 Dreamland: A Lovecraftian Game of Fantasy & Memory

Post by mockman » June 18th, 2014, 10:43 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Jason Thompson. I love RPGs, and I'm the artist of a comic adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath," among other stuff. I never felt there was a game that quite captured the feeling of the dreamworld stories of Lovecraft and Lord Dunsany, as well as other weird authors like Clark Ashton Smith, Italo Calvino and Neil Gaiman... so I'm designing one! I'm interested in playtesting it at GoPlay NW for up to 5 players.

Here's the blurb:

Awake to your destiny. You are of the few souls who are able to travel into the world of sleep, where thought is language and language is power. Travel across vast landscapes and discover strange cultures. Fight Monstrous Races, Dragons and Nightmares. Mold the dreamworld to summon monsters, create treasures, speak the language of beasts, become a king, and do anything you can imagine... but in the end, only your Memories of your waking life stand between you and the coming of Dawn.

* This is a sandbox RPG; there is no overarching goal. You may live, you may die. You play a character playing a character: a dreamer who travels into fantastic dream-lands where you are a stranger, taking on different roles, summoning up monsters, treasures and events. Character generation is simple: you randomly draw a Role (character class), and you also start with 3 Memories which are your connection to reality.
* The game takes place in a map of strange cities and dream-locations which is partially randomly generated, partially created by the characters (like in games like "The Quiet Year") as the game goes on.
* The game has no character sheets. Since the theme is Memory, you must literally memorize your Memories to call on their power when time gets rough.
* The game is mostly diceless. To do truly mighty deeds in Dreamland, you must spend Words.
* Words are the key to power in Dreamland. The DM (and in some cases, the other players) randomly draw word-tiles from a sack of words which reflect the atmosphere of Dreamland, and pepper their descriptions and speeches with them. Players gain power by recognizing these Words and weaving them into sentences, either in-character or out-of-character; they *they* get to take the Words and use them to add to their die rolls or fuel incredible events.
* Essentially, the "Words" system, inspired by the "Dying Earth" RPG, rewards characters for using language that's appropriate to the dream-fantasy genre: language of Exoticism, Mystery, Poetry, Wonder and Loathing.

My descriptions are a little rough, but I've been working on this game for months with a few playtests and I'd love to test it out at GoPlay NW! I know I've already written way too much, but I'd be happy to answer questions, and I hope you can make it. : )

PLAYER 1: Tim Mauldin
PLAYER 2: Joe Gracyk
PLAYER 3: Zed Lopez (signed up via Twitter)
PLAYER 4: D Drake
PLAYER 5: Johnstone Metzger
Last edited by mockman on June 21st, 2014, 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WallsBecomeDoors
Name:Tim Mauldin

Re: SAT-03 Dreamland: A Lovecraftian Game of Fantasy & Memor

Post by WallsBecomeDoors » June 19th, 2014, 10:14 am

Sounds great. Count me in.

BurritoAlPastor
Name:Joe Gracyk

Post by BurritoAlPastor » June 19th, 2014, 11:41 pm

I registered just to sign up for this game. Please count me in.

yurodivuie
Name:D Drake

Post by yurodivuie » June 20th, 2014, 1:39 pm

This sounds interesting. I'd like to play.

Johnstone
Name:Johnstone Metzger

Post by Johnstone » June 20th, 2014, 3:27 pm

I would like to play, please.

jbsworth
Name:Julie Southworth

Post by jbsworth » June 20th, 2014, 5:42 pm

I love Italo Calvino, so count me in.

OrionCanning

Post by OrionCanning » June 20th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Looks like this is full but I'm extremely interested so put me one the wait list.

jbsworth
Name:Julie Southworth

Post by jbsworth » June 21st, 2014, 11:03 am

Honestly, I'd rather play another game than one that has more players than it was meant for, so count me out. I look forward to trying it a later time.

mockman
Name:Jason Bradley Thompson

Post by mockman » June 21st, 2014, 12:36 pm

jbsworth wrote:Honestly, I'd rather play another game than one that has more players than it was meant for, so count me out. I look forward to trying it a later time.
Sounds good! Thanks for commenting, and sorry it's full!

Return to “Game Scheduling”