Fri 01 - DCC Mob:Occupy Dungeon

Talk about what you played or link to posts you made elsewhere.
Matthew SB
Name:Matthew Sullivan-Barrett
Fri 01 - DCC Mob:Occupy Dungeon

Post by Matthew SB » June 30th, 2014, 10:48 am

Tony ran 8-10 players(and their conscripted peasant/criminal characters) through a shotgun assault on the Mad Overlord's dungeon headquarters. I don't envy him the task, but it was hella fun!

There were all kinds of asymmetric and chaotic splits with the huge group, which seems like it would have been challenging to Judge. But Tony did an admirable job making it look easy even when party factions started murdering on each-other. The only time I noticed a crack in his iron facade was when I got excited about the hinges on the main door opening inward: I was teasing, as tiny details like that are universal pitfalls when GMing old-school problem-solving type crawls.

Actually I think I did make a couple dick moves: Specifically having my gnarled and twisted little root of a dwarf Cromie(with PER of 3) head off solo, and Smyth the locksmith stay behind at the locked main doors to try and sneak out and *avoid the entire dungeon*. Seriously.
Yeesh. I hope those weren't too annoying. Or at least made up for by delicious cider and flavorful infusions/potions.

I was really into Cromie and his gutsy against-the-odds success. The most exciting moment for him was doing a massive luck-boosted 9 points of damage headbutting an animated stone arm that was trying to punch him. After that surviving with an awesome rod of boulder summoning was just delicious gravy.

Thanks Tony and all, that was a great start to the weekend!

Matthew SB
Name:Matthew Sullivan-Barrett

Re: Fri 01 - DCC Mob:Occupy Dungeon

Post by Matthew SB » July 2nd, 2014, 2:13 pm

One other cool thing about this game was I got to sit next to Colin C.
Last time I had seen him was the first GPNW, where we had talked about dissatisfaction with old-school fantasy RPGs.
Meeting Colin again was nice, and at a DCC table was nice + irony!

Return to “Afterglow: What We Played”