Legend of the Elements and The Shining Void

What games are you thinking of playing? What games do you want others to run?
Ego
Name:Max Hervieux
Legend of the Elements and The Shining Void

Post by Ego » May 19th, 2015, 8:40 pm

My plan is to run two sessions of my game Legend of the Elements (formerly Avatar World) and one session of The Shining Void this year!

Here's the pitch for Legend of the Elements:
"Legend of the Elements is an Apocalypse World hack that emulates supernatural martial arts action. The rules of this game will help you to play a game specifically within that genre of fiction, which is characterized by a world where the supernatural is, if not common, at least heard of and where both martial arts skill and control of the supernatural are normal for heroes. This genre, known as wuxia, is associated with Chinese literature, but the setting of Legend of the Elements is not a real world place. The assumed setting for the game is a fictional world with a pan-Asian culture, but there is no reason this must be the case at your table.
The largest inspirations for this game are the Nickelodeon cartoons Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra. This game is not associated with those shows, but they are an excellent guideline for tone, style, and pacing in Legend of the Elements. Other inspirations include the Codex Alera novel series by Jim Butcher, wuxia films and literature, anime, and the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature.

The game was formerly known as Avatar World, but no longer has any direct affiliation with the Avatar franchise."
My current writing/development goal is to have the text actually complete and to my editing buddies with Go Play as my personal deadline, so this will not actually be a playtest session. As I'll have time to slightly alter the text though, all players will be thanked as playtesters in the book.
(if you'd like to read the game yourself for free, go here: http://www.logbook-project.com/p/avatar-world_23.html)

Here's the pitch for The Shining Void:
"The Shining Void is a tabletop RPG. It is a hack of Vincent Baker's Apocalypse World, though it requires absolutely no knowledge of that game to play. It is a starship-centered science fiction game about a crew of competent people from a variety of alien species taking on missions across the galaxy. It is based on popular sci-fi shows like Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, Farscape, and the largest influence is from the Bioware-made video game series Mass Effect."
Or for the short version of that:
"The Shining Void is an ApW hack that lets you play badass heroes on a spaceship, whether they're kicking evil's butt or just trying to make a living."
tSV is a much earlier-stage game. It is complete and playable and actually quite fun, but it doesn't have the level of polish that LotE has. If you're looking for a game to contribute some real feedback to, this game could use it. And of course, playtester credits in the book.
(if you'd like to read the game yourself for free, go here: http://www.logbook-project.com/p/blog-page.html)

Note that both links to reading the games refer to the current draft. A new draft will be created for both games by Go Play.

So, anyone interested in some wuxia or sci-fi action?
See my designs and art and musings! Also I am @Logbook_Project on Twitter and +Max Hervieux on G+.

peregrinekiwi
Name:Hamish C

Re: Legend of the Elements and The Shining Void

Post by peregrinekiwi » May 27th, 2015, 12:50 pm

I am interested in both of these things. I'm not sure which day(s) I'll be at GPNW yet though.

Return to “Brainstorming Games”