First Timer Tips?

The place to discuss all things GPNW 2017, except games.
Pengwenpenguin
Name:Gwen S.
First Timer Tips?

Post by Pengwenpenguin » June 24th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Hey everyone! I'm Gwen and this is my first time going to GoPlayNW, so I was wondering if anybody had any tips for first timers at GoPlay? What kind of stuff to bring for staying in the dorms, tips on navigating Seattle and/or the campus, good food spots, etc.

Thanks everyone and I look forward to playing lots of fun games with you all! :)

EnricPDX
Name:Harry L.

Re: First Timer Tips?

Post by EnricPDX » June 26th, 2017, 2:10 am

Hi Gwen! In my experience, the dorms are both economical and pleasant, but they can sometimes get quite warm in the summer, so my number one tip would be to bring a fan of some kind if at all possible. Otherwise, I've really enjoyed staying in them - having on-campus breakfast just short walk away and a bed to get to after a late-night session (or in my case, a midday nap) is just ridiculously convenient.

tonydowler

Post by tonydowler » June 26th, 2017, 9:38 am

I recommend checking out the what is Go PLay NW About post on the blog (http://www.goplaynw.org/index.php/2017/ ... -nw-about/).

Go Play is pretty laid back. If you just want to get into some games without much planning, show up for the Donut before each session. Be open-minded about what you want to play and you'll do fine.

There's also lots of scheduling on the forums (http://www.goplaynw.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=52) and at the con.

And if you're comfortable with it, bring your favorite game(s) and introduce some people to them.

Brendan
Name:Brendan Adkins

Post by Brendan » June 26th, 2017, 4:37 pm

I would second Harry's advice about a fan. I THINK sheets, a pillow and a towel are supplied for staying in the dorms? I am not finding that information ready at hand, though. I usually bring my own soap and shampoo. I would recommend bringing a reusable water bottle just to have handy. Pencils, dice, and index cards may go without saying, but there will be plenty of nerds around happy to lend you things if you don't have them. Also, if you're the kind of person who wore shower shoes when living in a dorm in college... bring shower shoes! (I was that person, but I forget every year.)

I have rarely gotten my car out of the parking lot during the con, and I have not needed to take transit. Assuming you don't have mobility issues, Seattle University is a brief walk from Capitol Hill, which has all kinds of restaurants. Boom Noodle is a repeat dinner favorite, and if you're new to Seattle, I suggest taking a slot off to walk to Elliott Bay Books and get some ice cream at Molly Moon's. In the past, when playing something in a game slot that finishes up before the dinner break, I have often just chatted with my fellow players and put together an ad hoc outing to a place nearby that someone wants to try. Spontaneity and new friends are two of the best parts of GPNW.

Also, if you see someone with Brendan Adkins on their lanyard name tag, feel free to introduce yourself! Then we will be new friends too. (I bet Harry and Tony would say the same.)

Return to “Burning With Anticipation!”