SAT-03 Polaris: A Game of Chivalric Tragedy [4/4] FULL

Planning games for particular slots
MoonSageFan
Name:Holly M
SAT-03 Polaris: A Game of Chivalric Tragedy [4/4] FULL

Post by MoonSageFan » June 17th, 2019, 11:16 am

Polaris is a GM-less, (nearly) diceless collaborative storytelling game, and is one of my personal favorite games of all time. Framed around heroic Knights of the Order of the Stars who are the last defenders of a doomed civilization, I can safely say that Polaris is by a wide margin the most intense and absorbing story game I've ever played.

It supports exactly four players, with no GM. For this session, if we get 3 sign-ups, I'll sit in as the fourth player. If we get four sign-ups, I'll guide the group from outside the game, explaining rules and helping to get things started, but I won't be GMing -- the game will be entirely in your hands.

To give a sense of the game's flavor and design, here's an excerpt from the designer's website talking about Polaris:
Polaris is a role-playing game about the dying days of the people, about how their bravest knights struggled against the Mistaken and their sun while the very people that they defended choked themselves in in their own self-indulgence. The entire game is framed and played through use of specific key phrases, used where other games use cards, dice, or ability scores.

I finished Polaris because I wanted to show that death in a role-playing game is not a bad thing. If you like it when your characters suffer and die, you should play Polaris. Polaris debuted at GenCon 2005. By the second day of the con, people were coming up to me and saying “I want to try the game where you say what you want, and then it happens.” You should play Polaris if you want to play a role-playing game where you say what you want, and as long as you’re willing to pay the price, it happens.

In Polaris, your knight will betray his people and die forgotten and alone. If you don’t like losing you won’t like Polaris. Polaris is powerful. In Polaris, you will wield the greatest powers of the cosmos against the greatest powers of hell. If you don’t like powerful protagonists, you won’t like Polaris. Polaris is deadly. If you don’t like games where a favorite character can be killed with a dependent clause and the flick of a sword, don’t play Polaris.
Sign-Up Slots:
1. Lexy HD
2. Aaron Reed
3. Brian Vander Veen
4. Martin Ralya
Last edited by MoonSageFan on June 28th, 2019, 10:22 am, edited 6 times in total.

jbsworth
Name:Julie Southworth

Re: SAT-03 Ben Lehman's Polaris [0/4]

Post by jbsworth » June 18th, 2019, 2:27 am

Sounds great, but I’m already committed to another game at this time. If you end up switching to Sunday or (Fri-02 if it’ll end early), I’ll be there!

—Julie

lexyhd
Name:lexy hd

Re: SAT-03 Ben Lehman's Polaris [0/4]

Post by lexyhd » June 19th, 2019, 5:54 pm

I've been meaning to try this out for a long while! Would love to join. ~ Lexy

rosscowman

Re: SAT-03 Ben Lehman's Polaris [1/4]

Post by rosscowman » June 20th, 2019, 5:00 pm

FYI this designer's name is now PH Lee

MoonSageFan
Name:Holly M

Re: SAT-03 Ben Lehman's Polaris [1/4]

Post by MoonSageFan » June 20th, 2019, 8:42 pm

rosscowman wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 5:00 pm
FYI this designer's name is now PH Lee
I had no idea! Their website http://www.tao-games.com still lists the old name. Thanks for the update.

aaronareed
Name:Aaron Reed

Re: SAT-03 Polaris: A Game of Chivalric Tragedy [1/4]

Post by aaronareed » June 20th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Ooh, count me in please!!

Brian Vander Veen

Re: SAT-03 Polaris: A Game of Chivalric Tragedy [2/4]

Post by Brian Vander Veen » June 24th, 2019, 3:07 pm

I've been wanting to play this for a while. Please sign me up!

MartinRalya

Re: SAT-03 Polaris: A Game of Chivalric Tragedy [3/4]

Post by MartinRalya » June 28th, 2019, 10:17 am

Been wanting to try Polaris for years -- count me in!

Return to “Game Scheduling”